AFCON 2023: South Africa vs DR Congo: Predicted lineup, injury news, head-to-head, telecast
The third-place match of the Africa Cup of Nations 2023 is all set
In a tournament that has been full of surprises in the ongoing edition, South Africa will take on DR Congo in the third-place match of the AFCON 2023. Both sides have had a great tournament so far but failed to make it past the semi-final stage. They beat Morocco in the Round of 16 and Cape Verde on penalties in the quarter-finals. They lost to Nigeria in penalties, Nigeria converted four of their five spot kicks and South Africa missed two of their opening four, sending the West African giants through to the final.
DR Congo defeated one of the tournament favourites Egypt on penalties in the Round of 16 before getting past Guinea in the quarter-finals, but eventually lost to the host nation. It will be a mouthwatering clash for sure and both teams will be expected to play attacking football.
Saturday, 10th Feb 2024, 08:00 PM (GMT), 03:00 PM (EST)
Sunday, 11th Feb, 2024, 01:30 AM (IST)
Stadium: Stade Felix Boigny
South Africa Form (All Competitions): L-W-W-D-W-L
DR Congo Form (All Competitions): L-W-W-D-D-D
Players to Watch
Themba Zwane (South Africa)
Dynamic, tricky and does not seem to be slowing down any time soon, Themba Zwane has already shown his intent to be one of the best footballers to ever grace South African football. When teams sit deep, he can use his dribbling and close control to create opportunities and when teams look to press high, he can break the press, by using deceptive manipulation of the ball.
Yoane Wissa (DR Congo)
Wissa’s wide range of goals is a testament to his quality, ranging from thumping emphatic efforts from 18 yards to clipping the ball delicately over the keeper from close range. Wissa is fairly agile, he can stop and start moving as well as change directions with or without the ball quite quickly and he rarely goes down easily when getting body-charged.
- South Africa played their fourth semi-final at the CAF Africa Cup of Nations and their first since 2000, they lost the semifinal to Nigeria.
- South Africa performed better in the group stages as compared to DR Congo.
- DR Congo got three points in the group stage, since all their matches ended in a draw.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Injury and Team News
South Africa will be without Grant Kekana after his sending-off against Nigeria in the semi-finals.
Meanwhile, DR Congo will be missing Edo Kayembe due to a calf injury.
South Africa: 3
DR Congo: 1
Predicted Lineup for South Africa vs DR Congo
South Africa Predicted Lineup (5-4-1):
Williams (GK); Xulu, Sibisi, Mvala, Mudau, Modiba; Zwane, Sithole, Mokoena, Tau; Makgopa
DR Congo Predicted Lineup (4-2-3-1):
Mpasi (GK); Mbemba, Masuaku, Kalulu, Inonga; Kakuta, Wissa; Moutoussamy, Pickel, Bakambu; Elia
Match Prediction for South Africa vs DR Congo
While both sides have fought hard at AFCON 2024, South Africa’s semi-final against Nigeria went into extra time and penalties. Meanwhile, Ivory Coast beat Congo in 90 minutes. Both team teams will give their all to win third place. Bafana Bafana will win this match to finish third in this tournament.
Prediction: South Africa 1-0 DR Congo
UK – Sky Sports
US – beIN Sports
Nigeria – NTA
AFCON 2023 Worldwide Broadcast Details: Click here
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect
- Injury sidelines Kerala Blasters goalie Sachin Suresh for 'significant duration'
- Top five youngest players to score in 6 consecutive Premier League games