NorthEast United set to sign Australian defender Patrick Flottmann
(Courtesy : Sydney FC)
The centre-back has represented Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar in the A-League.
NorthEast United are all set to complete the signing of Australian defender Patrick Flottmann, Khel Now can confirm. The Highlanders first signed South Korean defender Ahn Byung-keon, but couldn’t register him due to some issues. They have now gone forward with the 24-year-old Aussie. Flottmann will become the final foreign addition to the Highlanders' squad for Indian Super League 2021-22 season.
“NorthEast United are all set to sign Australian defender Patrick Flottmann. They were in talks with a few more players, but went ahead with the Australian,” a source told Khel Now.
[KH_ADWORDS type="4" align="center"][/KH_ADWORDS]
Flottmann started his career with Sydney FC’s youth side Sydney FC NPL. He came through to the first-team, but failed to make his senior debut for the club despite being named on the bench on a number of occasions.
A lack in game-time meant Flottmann needed a change in scenery. He left Sydney FC and moved abroad to play for Thai League 2 club Air Force United in 2018. But, he returned to Australia a season later and re-signed for Sydney FC on a two-year deal. He made three appearances each for Sydney FC in the A-league and the AFC Champions League.
But, once again lack of game-time became a major issue and Flottman went on loan to Brisbane Roar for the remainder of the A-league 2020/21 season. He made four appearances for Brisbane before returning to his parent club. Then in July 2021, Sydney FC parted ways with Flottmann.
Type of Player
Flottmann is a right-footed centre-back, who mostly plays on the left side of the centre-back pairing. He can also slot in as a holding midfielder, if needed. The Aussie is technically sound and is a proper ball-playing centre-back. His passing accuracy and ability to win both aerial and ground duels makes him a value addition for the Highlanders.
[KH_RELATED_NEWS title="Related News |ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW"][/KH_RELATED_NEWS]
NorthEast United’s preparations ahead of the new season
The Highlanders have started their pre-season camp in Goa with a hope to replicate their heroics from last season. Khalid Jamil will lead NorthEast United this season and he has made quite a few interesting additions to his squad. They’ve retained the services of Federico Gallego, Khassa Camara and Deshorn Brown from last season. The club have also brought in defending ISL champion duo Hernan Santana and Tondonba Singh from Mumbai City.
Jamil has also made notable additions to his domestic contingent in Laldanmawia Ralte, Sehnaj Singh, Joe Zoherliana among others. NorthEast United will get their season underway on November 20 against Bengaluru FC.
- Germany midfielder Toni Kroos set to come out of international retirement ahead of Euro 2024
- Brazil defender Dani Alves sentenced to four and a half years in jail over sexual assault in Barcelona
- ''Jurgen Klopp will not coach any club or national team for a year'' confirms agent
- India announce squad for Turkish Women's Cup 2024
- Top five highest scorers in the ISL of all time
- Top four Manchester United players to score in six consecutive Premier League matches
- Top 10 most valuable teams in MLS 2024
- Top 10 best forwards to watch out for in MLS 2024
- Top four clubs Thomas Tuchel could manage after leaving Bayern Munich in summer 2024
- Top five managers who could replace Thomas Tuchel at Bayern Munich