Indian women's hockey team look to turn results in their favour against USA in FIH Pro League 2023-24
(Courtesy : Hockey India)
India have lost their first three matches in the tournament.
In the build-up to the highly anticipated Women’s FIH Pro League 2023-24 clash against the USA on 9th February at Bhubaneswar’s Kalinga Stadium, the Indian women’s hockey team will aim to script a reversal of fortunes after a challenging start to the tournament.
India’s campaign started with a narrow 1-2 defeat against China, followed by a 1-3 setback against the Netherlands. Their struggles continued in the third match, where they faced a 0-3 defeat against Australia. The Indian team is now on a mission to turn the tide and secure their first victory, injecting a sense of urgency and determination into their upcoming battle with the USA.
Reflecting on the team’s early setbacks, captain Savita remarked, “Our initial matches have posed formidable challenges, but we’re a resilient team. Each defeat has fuelled our determination to learn, adapt, and come back stronger. The upcoming clash against the USA is an opportunity to showcase our true potential and register our first win in the tournament.”
On the flip side, the USA had a challenging start to the tournament as well, suffering a comprehensive 0-7 defeat against the Netherlands. Subsequent losses of 0-3 to Australia and 1-3 to China have added to their woes. The American squad, too, will be eager to bounce back in the tournament.
Meanwhile, Savita acknowledged the competitive nature of the tournament and the importance of the impending match, stating, “In the FIH Pro League, every game is crucial, and the USA match is no exception. Both teams are hungry for victory, and we are fully aware of the significance of securing our first points.
“We have analysed our strengths and areas of improvement, and we are ready to implement a strategic approach on the field. Our focus is on playing as a cohesive unit, supporting each other, and executing our game plan effectively.”
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian hockey player Varun Kumar accused of rape of minor, booked under POSCO act
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
When it comes to their head-to-head record, the USA hold a statistically advantageous position with 10 victories in 16 encounters, while the India has secured four wins, and two matches ending in a draw. This historical context adds an extra layer of intrigue to the upcoming clash, setting the stage for a fierce battle between two determined teams.
Speaking on the same, Savita said, “Head-to-head records are historical statistics, but what matters most is the present. We respect our opponents, but our focus is on our game and executing our strategies. The aim is clear – secure our first win in the FIH Pro League 2023-24 and build momentum for the challenges ahead.”
India will take on the United States at 1930 hrs on Friday.
- Men's FIH Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- FIH Women's Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- USA vs India Highlights, Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24
- Where and how to watch Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24 live worldwide?