News Article

FC Goa pip Corps of Signals in Goa Professional League

Written by: Ravish R Narvekar


Super-sub Hayden Fernandes came off the bench to book all three points for the Goans

FC Goa registered a hard-fought 1-0 win over Corps of Signals in the Goa Professional League match played at Duler Stadium on Sunday.

Goans were without their key players like Liston Colaco, Princeton Rebello, Saviour Gama, Lalnunsiama and Jonathan Cardozo as their coach Clifford Miranda brought in Kapil Hoble, Imran Khan, Meldon D’Silva, Vincy Barretto and Leander D’Cunha in the starting XI. Similarly, Signals coach Ratheesh R also made few changes to his side following their defeat at the hands of Salgaocar FC in the last match as goalkeeper Binu Purushothama, Romans MS, TC Lalhuapzauva and Joel Dias found their names in the squad.

The Gaurs started the match on attacking note as it was just four minutes on the clock when Kapil Hoble brilliantly cut past a defender and unleashed a powerful shot on the goal but Signals' veteran keeper Binu pushed it for a corner.

The rest of the session witnessed end-to-end play where Goans were the more potent side in the entire session with better attacking index. In one of these, Goan defender Meldon made a long clearance which was smartly chested it down by Lalawmpuia and shot on the goal from inside the box but Signals custodian Binu once again came with a fine save as both the teams ended the first half goallessly.

Goans had the best chance to take the lead in the 54th minutes when Imran sent a curling freekick in the box but Nestor Dias failed to connect from the close. After few minutes, Imran came with another cross in the box where Kapil headed on the target but Signals keeper Binu tipped it for a corner.


After some probing attacks, the Gaurs finally managed to break the deadlock in the 62nd minutes when a powerful striker from substitute Hayden Fernandes entered at the far post to make it 1-0 for FC Goa.

At the other end, Signals were denied twice by the woodwork as first, a fine freekick from Bhutia was headed by Kuldeep Kumar but it rebounded off the crossbar. A few minutes later, the Army men came with another attack as Brivon Dias shot was blocked by FC Goa keeper Shubham Dhas but the rebound from Harshad Thube hit the side post before going out.

Goan had a chance to double their lead in the last ten minutes when Imran went past few defenders in the box and sent a cutback to Lalawmpuia whose shot was brilliantly blocked by Signals keeper Binu.  

Published: Sun Oct 21, 2018 06:49 PM IST


Welcome to Khel Now!