Samuela’s first half penalty was enough to see Lajong through as Meghalaya Police succumbs to their fifth consecutive defeat in the Gionee Shillong Premier League..

No one would have expected Meghalaya Police to falter so early after their impressive start of the season when they notched up 12 goals in two matches. Fast forward three weeks and the Police outfits have gone 5 games without a win or a draw with Lajong the latest team to get the better of them.

It was a scintillating start of the match with both teams showing their attacking intent and pressing high. Jacob nearly scored form a free kick in the 15th minute while Meghalaya Police’s skipper Niwan-o-Gatphoh came agonising close to scoring in the 21st minute but couldn’t get a solid contact on the cross and the ball went out for a goal kick. A few minutes later Lajong players terrorised the Police box but the Police keeper came up with two impressive saves before his defenders could scramble clear.

Samuela and Isaac with their trademark celebration .

The continued pressure from Lajong paid off in the 27th minute when the Police defence failed to clear a cross by Bipin from the left wing with Samuela doing well to earn a penalty as he was brought down by the goalkeeper. The youngster then made no mistake from the spot, continuing his fine form of run in front of goal. The Police outfits could have had an immediate equaliser when Teiborlang Siangshai released Donbok Khymdait on through for goal but his touch let him down and the Lajong keeper collected with ease.

Samuela was there again at the other end with a chance to double his lead but couldn’t find the back of the net this time. His first goal however was enough for Lajong and they went into half time with the deserved lead.
Meghalaya Police made a quick start in the second half and their captain Niwan got through on goal in the 54th minute but his attempted chip was thwarted away by the Lajong goalkeeper.

Lajong youngster Milan, who had come in early in the second half played some impressive football down the left flank and in one of his impressive shows, dribbled past three defenders before chipping a beautiful cutback to set up Samuela who, however directed his header well wide from close range. Jacob then gave the ball away in midfield and Donbok Khymdiat gave Lajong a scare but they managed to hold off the attack. Lajong’s captain Dorjee Tamang saw his goal in the 82nd minute disallowed for offside.

The last few minutes of the match saw some nerve jangling moments for the Lajong defence and Teiborlang should have gotten the better of the nervy backline in injury time when a stray ball gave him the chance to salvage a point for his team but the pressure and his nerve got the better of him and he miscued his shot well wide and the curtains drew for full time with the Lajong youngsters finishing the first leg of the season undefeated.

Tomorrow’s fixture: Rangdajied United FC Vs. Langsning FC

Report by Khel Now Correspondent Worngachan Shatsang from Shillong . Shatsang loves to write and click pictures .