Defending champions Brazil out of Olympics 2024 after 1-0 defeat to Argentina
For the first time since 2004, Brazil won’t compete in the Olympics
This is shocking because it will be the first time since 2004 that a South American country has missed the Olympics. Luciano Gondou led Argentina’s Under-23s to victory in the 77th minute of the South American qualifying match for the Summer Olympics in France.
The men’s football team from Brazil has medalled in four consecutive Olympics. Argentina, the 2008 and 2004 gold medal winners, had five points at the end of the last qualifying round.
They lead Paraguay by one point. Venezuela and Paraguay will play later on Sunday to determine the other qualifying berth. Brazil received three points in the end.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
On Sunday in Caracas, Venezuela, Luciano Gondou’s goal in the 78th minute gave Argentina a 1-0 victory.
In the 16-team Olympic men’s football competition, Argentina will represent South America and one of two countries: Paraguay or Venezuela.
To make it to the Olympics, Brazil had to defeat Argentina or draw in the last South American qualifying round.
In a four-team group, Brazil first lost to Paraguay before defeating Venezuela 2-1. Argentina was tied with Paraguay and Venezuela. Due to those outcomes, either Argentina or Brazil would be able to go to Paris.
The winner of the second South American ticket to Paris 2024 will be chosen later; Paraguay needs only a draw, while Venezuela could secure the first spot.
Unlike the Olympics, when teams are permitted to use three overage additional troops, this preparation competition was limited to players under the age of 23.
And now Argentina will be calling to convince one unique player—36-year-old Lionel Messi—who was a star in the team’s 2008 Olympic gold run, to travel to Paris with them.
- Paris Olympics 2024: Anush Agarwalla secures India's first-ever Olympics quota in equestrian dressage
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- List of Paris Olympics 2024 qualifying events in February
- 2024 Paris Olympics and Paralympic medals to contain piece of Eiffel Tower
- Top five Malaysian shuttlers favorite to qualify for Paris Olympics after January 2024