Divyansh Singh Panwar breaks world record, wins gold in 10m air rifle at ISSF World Cup Cairo 2024
(Courtesy : SAI Media)
21-year-old also set a new world record in the final with a score of 253.7
Indian shooting Maestro Divyansh Singh Panwar added another feather to his cap by winning the gold medal in the men’s 10m air rifle event at the ISSF World Cup Cairo 2024 on Sunday. The 21-year-old also set a new world record in the final with a score of 253.7, surpassing the previous mark of 253.3 held by China’s Sheng Lihao.
Panwar, who hails from Jaipur, Rajasthan, was in sublime form throughout the competition. He topped the qualification round with a score of 632.4, ahead of Italy’s Danilo Dennis Sollazzo and Serbia’s Lazar Kovacevic. In the final, he maintained his lead and edged out Sollazzo by 1.9 points to clinch the gold. Kovacevic settled for the bronze with a score of 230.6.
This was Panwar’s fourth World Cup gold medal, following his victories in Munich, Beijing and Delhi since 2019. He is also a former world no. 1 and an Olympian, having represented India at the Tokyo 2020 Games. He has also won medals at the World Championships, the Asian Championships and the ISSF Junior World Cup.
Panwar’s gold medal was India’s second at the ISSF World Cup Cairo 2024, after Rhythm Sangwan and Ujjwal Malik had won the air pistol mixed team event on Saturday. India also bagged two silver medals in the 10m air rifle mixed team and the air rifle team events, courtesy of Arjun Babuta, Sonam Maskar, Rudrankksh Patil, Sandeep Singh and Kiran Jadhav.
With four medals, India topped the medals table at the end of the first day of the World Cup, followed by Spain with one gold and one silver. Kazakhstan, Britain, Greece and Korea were the other medal winners.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Jannik Sinner vs Daniil Medvedev: Australian Open 2024 Final Live Updates
- ‘I’m at Level 43, not age 43,’ asserts Rohan Bopanna after historic Australian Open 2024 triumph
- Rohan Bopanna becomes oldest Grand Slam champion with Australian Open 2024 title
- Rohan Bopanna, Joshna Chinappa among athletes shortlisted for Padma Shri award, check full list
- Neeraj Chopra meets Roger Federer in Zurich, says dream come true
- Novak Djokovic and Billie Jean King congratulate Rohan Bopanna on becoming world No. 1 in men’s doubles
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Panwar’s performance was lauded by the shooting fraternity and the sports minister Anurag Thakur, who congratulated him on his remarkable feat. Panwar thanked his coaches, family and fans for their support and said he was happy to make the country proud.
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- Top five Indian athletes who disappointed in 2023
- Top 10 Indian athletes who dominated headlines in 2023
- Asian Shooting Championship 2023: Manu Bhaker secures India's 11th quota in shooting for Paris Olympics