Khel Now logo
HomeSportsLive Score

Tennis

Monte Carlo Masters 2023: Top players who will miss clay tournament

Published at :April 06, 2023 at 12:41 AM
Modified at :April 06, 2023 at 02:00 AM
Post Featured Image

M Sudharshan


Rafael Nadal was among the first players to pull out of the event.

ATP Monte Carlo Masters is the third ATP Masters 1000 event of the season and is the maiden tournament of the clay season. Rafael Nadal is the most successful player, having won the title a record eleven times. Close to six top ATP 50 singles players have confirmed their withdrawal from the prestigious tournament. Novak Djokovic and reigning champion Stefanos Tsitsipas will be spearheading the singles contingent.

1. Rafael Nadal

The 11-time ATP Monte Carlo Masters champion is set to miss the event owing to an injury. Rafael Nadal confirmed his unavailability through his Instagram handle and said, “Hello everyone, I am still not prepared to compete at the highest level so I will not be able to play in one of the most important tournaments of my career, Monte Carlo.

https://twitter.com/RafaelNadal/status/1643184272654622720?s=20

"Unfortunately, I am not yet able to play with maximum guarantees and I continue my process of recovery and preparation, hoping to return to competition soon”.

The clay specialist last played at the Australian Open, where he suffered a grade 2 injury in the iliopsoas muscle of his left leg. Monte Carlo Masters has been a happy hunting tournament for the Spaniard with a 73-6 win-loss record.

2. Carlos Alcaraz 

19-year-old and Spanish number one Carlos Alcaraz is set to miss the third ATP Masters 1000 event of the season and the season's first clay ATP Masters 1000 event. Alcaraz couldn't participate in the Australian Open earlier this year and started the season playing at the ATP Argentina Open. He won the ATP Masters 1000 Miami Open beating Daniil Medvedev.

https://twitter.com/carlosalcaraz/status/1643192597630918656?s=20

Alacarez confirmed the news on his official Twitter account and said, “After two months abroad, I am happy to return home but sad because I finished my last match in Miami with physical discomfort. After visiting my doctor @drlopezmarinez in Murcia today and being evaluated, I will not be able to go to Monte Carlo to start the clay court tour.

"I have post-traumatic arthritis in my left hand and muscular discomfort in the spine that needs rest to prepare for everything that is to come. See you in 2024 @RolexMcMasters.”

3. Felix Auger Aliassime

Felix Auger Aliassime has been struggling with his left knee for the past few weeks and has decided to opt out of the Monte Carlo Masters. The current world number seven finished runner-up at the Indian Wells Masters losing to Carlos Alcaraz.

https://twitter.com/felixtennis/status/1643204298430357505?s=20

The Canadian on his social media account iterated, “Unfortunately I have to announce my retirement from the @rolexmontecarlomasters this year. It is an event that I look forward to each year however, I have been struggling with my left knee for the past few weeks and decided it was the smartest decision to take some time off so I’m able to fully heal and recover before my next tournament at the @mutuamadridopen.”

4. Denis Shapovalov

World number 29 Denis Shapovalov joins the withdrawal list of the ATP Monte Carlo Masters. Shapovalov hasn’t been playing in the Monte Carlo Masters for the past few years and scheduling seems to be the issue for his unavailability. He is expected to make his appearance at the ATP Barcelona Open.

Along with the above four, world number 17 Pablo Carreno Busta and world number 34 Yoshihito Nishioka have also confirmed their withdrawal.

5. Pablo Carreno Busta

World number 17 has announced his withdrawal from Monte Carlo Masters. The Spaniard is going through a tough phase after having withdrawn from the Indian Wells tournaments as well. He lost in the opening rounds of season opener Adelaide International and the Rotterdam Open.

6. Yoshihito Nishioka

After a good performance at the Australian Open, the Japanese number one is going through a torrid time losing in the opening rounds of the previous three tournaments (Miami, Indian Wells, and Mexican Open). To make matters worse world number 34 has withdrawn himself from the Monte Carlo Masters.

Trending Articles


TRENDING TOPICS

  • About Us
  • Home
  • Khel Now TV
  • Sitemap
  • Feed
Khel Icon

Download on the

App Store

GET IT ON

Google Play


2023 KhelNow.com Agnificent Platform Technologies Pte. Ltd.