Khel Now logo
HomeSportsOLYMPICS 2024Live Score
Advertisement

Tennis

Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Wimbledon 2023

Published at :July 4, 2023 at 12:01 AM
Modified at :July 4, 2023 at 12:38 AM
Post Featured Image

SouravGanguly


The Australian also pulled out of the Australian Open and Roland Garros earlier this season due to injuries.

Nick Kyrgios, last year's Wimbledon runner-up, announced his withdrawal from Wimbledon 2023 this Sunday. The Australian is dealing with a wrist injury which has put him in the sidelines. Kyrgios, who is known for his flashy antics and power shots, was definitely a player to watch out for. He joins an exodus of top stars who will miss the grass court Grand Slam Championships.

"I'm really sad to say that I have to withdraw from Wimbledon this year," the 28-year-old said in a statement. He said that he suffered the accident as he was preparing in Mallorca for Wimbledon 2023. Nick Kyrgios was also recuperating from a knee surgery which restricted him to a solo match in 2023.

https://twitter.com/Wimbledon/status/1675611461220024323?s=20

The 28-year-old also shared his story of resilience on getting back in the court. "I tried my hardest to be ready after my surgery and to be able to step on the Wimbledon courts again. During my comeback I experienced some pain in my wrist during Mallorca," the Australian said in his statement.

Apparently a scan on his wrist would cause the Aussie to re-evaluate his decision. A torn ligament would inadviariably rule him out of the grass court tournament.

"I tried everything to be able to play and I am disappointed to say that I don't have enough time to manage it before Wimbledon" lamented the New South Wales resident. Despite that little setback Nick has assured his fans that he will be back soon on the court.

Advertisement
Advertisement