Top five players with most winners in women's singles at Australian Open 2024
(Courtesy : AFP)
Marta Kostyuk leads the list
The conclusion of the Australian Open 2024 was a grand affair as the best tennis players across multiple categories delivered sensational performances to get their hands on the coveted Grand Slam. In the women’s singles category, the level of competition was intense and there were plenty of memorable contests. It was a showcase of sensational strokeplay, power and top-level athleticism.
Hitting a winner in tennis is no easy task. It requires extreme levels of strength, precision and timing. However, some players are efficient at hitting winners and make the whole process look effortless. Several notable women tennis stars delivered winners aplenty at the first Grand Slam of the year, the 2024 Australian Open, including the winner of the women’s singles bracket Aryna Sabalenka.
However, she did not score the most winners despite emerging as the champion, which says a lot about the quality of players in the women’s singles draw.
On that note, here is a look at the top five players with the most winners in women’s singles at the Australian Open 2024:
Aryna Sabalenka – 151
Aryna Sabalenka was unstoppable in her quest to win the 2024 Australian Open title. The Belarusian athlete displayed incredible strength and a drive to succeed at all costs. She had 151 winners to her name; she became the undisputed champion of the 2024 Australian Open, defending her title successfully.
Anna Kalinskaya – 153
Anna Kalinskaya of Russia fell victim to Qinwen Zheng in the quarter-final by a 7-6(7-3), 3-6, 1-6 score. However, the powerful baseliner impressed the crowd before bowing out with her strong groundstrokes. She accumulated 153 winners at the 2024 Australian Open and could have executed more had she advanced further into the competition. The 25-year-old will be looking to build on her best performance at a Grand Slam tournament in future.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- India takes 2-0 lead over Pakistan in Davis Cup 2024 World Group I play-off
- Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha’s dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women’s singles semis
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Dayana Yastremska – 161
Dayana Yastremska won a lot of hearts with her gritty performances at the 2024 Australian Open. The hope of Ukraine’s people brought a lot of joy for them by reaching the semi-finals of the women’s singles draw, getting eliminated by the hands of the eventual runner-up Zheng. Entering the main draw as a qualifier, Yastremska exceeded all expectations and scored 161 winners on her way to the last four.
Qinwen Zheng – 184
Qinwen Zheng was superb on her journey to the final of the 2024 Australian Open. The Asian athlete from China demonstrated intricate strokeplay and combined speed with strength excellently. She hit a staggering 184 winners at the Australian Open but could not get the better of the immaculate Aryna Sabalenka for the title, who was in a league of her own.
Marta Kostyuk – 186
Marta Kostyuk emerges as the player with the most winners in the women’s singles category at the 2024 Australian Open. Despite losing to United States of America’s Coco Gauff in the quarter-final, Marta Kostyuk executed 186 winners on the hard court, showing supreme strength, accuracy and timing with her strokeplay. The 21-year-old powerhouse from Ukraine is certainly a contender for the future editions of the Australian Open and more.
- Top five players with most matches played in WTA 1000 tournaments main draw
- Top four players to win first 12 matches of ATP season
- Sumit Nagal gets wildcard entry for Dubai Tennis Championships 2024 main draw
- WTA Qatar Open 2024: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Bengaluru Open 2024 ATP Challenger: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details