Who is Sheetal Devi? Five facts about Indian Archer
Sheetal Devi won two silver medals and a bronze medal at the European para-archery Cup.
The ongoing para-archery championship 2023 in Pilsen made the Indian flag fly high when Sheetal Devi created the world record. An amateur armless archer won the silver medal at the prestigious event and has become the talk of the town after achieving this feat. Sheetal fell short of the gold medal after losing to the Turkish opponent Cure Oznur by a scoreline of 138-140 in the Women’s Individual compound event finals.
Here are 5 facts to know more about Sheetal Devi:
1. Created history:
At just 16 years, Sheetal Devi became the first female armless archer to win the silver medal at the world para-archery championships globally. Sheetal was diagnosed with phocomelia syndrome when she was born, a condition under which limbs remain undeveloped.
2. Huge success in a short period:
She took her bow and arrow just a year ago and within a short span of 12 months has won the prestigious world championship medal, and secured her place at the upcoming 2024 Paris Paralympic Games, which the rest could only dream of.
3. A unique style of play:
She shoots with the help of her legs and feet, a style similar to that of legendary armless archer Matt Stutzman from the United States of America.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Sheetal Devi won two silver medals and a bronze medal at the European para-archery cup held in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic in May 2023. She has also won a bronze medal at Women’s Khelo India Games. The teenager won silver medal at World Para Archery Championships and thereby qualified for 2024 Paris Paralympics.
Earlier this year, the archer won three medals (gold – 2nd and silver – 1) at the recently concluded Asian Para Games 2023. She also became the first Indian woman to win two gold medals in a single edition of the Games.
5. Coached by Kuldeep Kumar:
Sheetal never considered playing this sport until coach Kuldeep Kumar saw the potential in her and asked her to visit the academy, which eventually inspired her and helped her achieve this accomplishment.