China to host 2024 edition of BWF World Junior Championships
BWF announced that the city of Nanchang in China will host the event.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has announced that the city of Nanchang, China, will host the next edition of the BWF World Junior Championships in 2024. This will mark the first time since 2000 that this prestigious event will be held in China, a dominant force in the sport.
The BWF World Junior Championships is an annual tournament that showcases the best young badminton players globally, featuring two competitions: the mixed team event known as the Suhandinata Cup, and the individual event known as the Eye Level Cups.
The 2024 edition of the BWF World Junior Championships will take place at the Nanchang Olympic Sports Center, boasting a capacity of 60,000 spectators and equipped with state-of-the-art facilities. While the exact dates for the event are yet to be confirmed, it is anticipated to occur in October or November.
Expressing his delight, BWF President Poul-Erik Høyer commented on the decision to grant China the hosting rights. He mentioned, “China is a powerhouse in badminton and has a rich history of producing world-class players and champions. We are confident that they will deliver a fantastic event that will showcase the future stars of our sport and inspire the next generation of badminton fans.”
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Syed Modi International 2023: Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto finish as runners-up after final loss
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
Zhang Jun, President of the Chinese Badminton Association (CBA), also welcomed the announcement, expressing gratitude to the BWF for their trust and support. He said, “We are honored and excited to host the BWF World Junior Championships in 2024.
“We look forward to welcoming the best young players from around the world to Nanchang, where they will experience the culture and hospitality of our city and country. We are committed to making this event a memorable and successful one for all participants and stakeholders.”
Additionally, the BWF revealed that the deadline for bids to host the 2025 and 2026 editions ends on 1 December 2023. Decisions for each of these editions will be made early next year. As one of the most prestigious and competitive events in the badminton calendar, the BWF World Junior Championships garner significant interest from potential hosts and sponsors.
The BWF encourages all its member associations to consider bidding for the opportunity to host this event and showcase their passion and vision for the sport.