Syed Modi International 2023: Priyanshu Rajawat through to quarters; Unnati Hooda exits
None of the women’s singles player progressed to further rounds.
Day 3 of Syed Modi International 2023 had majority of the results go against the Indians as several exited in the pre-quarterfinals. Orleans Open 2023 winner Priyanshu Rajawat, Treesa Jolly–Gayatri Gopichand and Tanisha Crasto-Ashwini Ponappa progressed to the quarterfinals in their respective categories.
Youngster Ashmita Chaliha started India’s proceedings against third seed Aya Ohori in women’s singles. The Indian lost tamely in straight games (7-21, 13-21). In the subsequent match, teenager Unnati Hooda went down to former world champion Nozomi Okhuhara (9-21, 13-21). On the other hand, Anupama Upadhyaya who was part of the Indian team for Uber Cup lost to eighth seed Shuo Yun (16-21, 17-21).
None of the shuttlers from the women’s singles progressed to the further rounds. Women’s doubles pair of Treesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand registered India’s first win for the day after getting the better of compatriot Dhanyaa Nandhakumar and Ridhi Kaur in straight games (21-9, 21-5).
Later in the day, Priyanshu Rajawat secured his win over another upcoming talent Sathish Kumar Karunakaran in straight (21-18, 11-6). The latter exited the match midway after suffering from hand injury. Up next Priyanshu is set to battle out against Indonesia’s Alwi Farhan for a place in the semifinals. The Indian has a superior h2h record having won their only meeting so far.
In the final match of the day, Ashwini Ponappa and Tanisha Crasto progressed to the quarterfinals after defeating sister duo Swetaparna Panda and Rutuparna Panda in three games (22-20, 17-21, 21-16). Earlier in the day Ashwini and Rohan Kapoor lost in the mixed doubles encounter to fifth seed Yuki Kaneko-Misaki Matsumoto(14-21, 14-21).
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 Finals Highlights: India defeat Thailand to win first-ever title
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 Semifinals Highlights: Indian women's team upset Japan to reach maiden final
- Who is Anmol Kharb? Five facts to know about India's latest teenage badminton sensation
- Badminton Asia Team Championships 2024 Quarterfinals Highlights: Indian men's team loses to Japan, women confirm first-ever medal