Nigeria's Taiwo Awoniyi to miss AFCON 2024 due to groyne injury
Nottingham are 14th in Premier League table
A big setback for Nottingham Forest as star striker Taiwo Awoniyi’s groyne surgery has put him out for “months.”
Since October, the Nigerian striker—who leads Steve Cooper in goals scored this season with four in 11 appearances—has been handling the issue.
Taiwo Awoniyi participated for his nation in their match against Lesotho, however, he left the team and had surgery afterwards. He missed 15 games the previous year due to another groyne injury, making this his second major absence for the team.
‘It’s bad news on Taiwo, he’s had to have surgery and he is going to be out for months.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
‘We’ll support him and try to get him back as quick and as fit as he can be, but it’s a really unfortunate situation and a blow for him.
‘He’s become an important player for us with the goals he’s scored and the goals he will score for us, but he’s such a good guy and a good professional who is desperate to do well, so to get an injury like this is harsh on him.
We’ve got to support him through the process of coming back stronger. He’s done that once before here and I’m sure he will give everything again like he did last time.
‘You think about how well he did when he returned last season, I’m sure that’s given him a good reference point to come back to. We’ll definitely see him again this season, but it’s groin surgery so it will take a little while.’
The next game for Forest is on Saturday when they play against Brighton.
They have lost just one among their last six Premier League games, a 3-2 loss against West Ham, and have prevailed in two of their last six. With 13 points from 12 games, Cooper’s team is ranked 14th in the standings.
- Top 10 biggest bans in football history
- Top five long-term replacements for Kevin De Bruyne at Manchester City
- Top five youngest players to feature in Premier League 2023-24
- Top 33 fastest football players in the world in 2024
- Adelaide United goalie Grace Wilson becomes first non-binary footballer in Australia