AFCON 2023: Which teams will play in semi finals?
Four teams remain in the ongoing tournament in Ivory Coast
AFCON 2023 is heading to the final stages. Only four teams remain in the competition and a new African champion will be crowned, as Senegal have already been knocked out.
Angola, Cape Verde, DR Congo, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Nigeria and South Africa made it to the last eight stages of the competition.
Nigeria were the first team to qualify for the semi-final stage after securing a 1-0 win over Angola. Ademola Lookman netted the only goal of the season and sent the Super Eagles to the next stage. They will face either Cape Verde or South Africa in the next round.
DR Congo won the second quarter-final match of AFCON 2023. After going one goal down against Guinea in the quarter-final meeting, DR Congo scored three goals to book a place in the next round.
Cape Verde and South Africa will fight for a spot in the semis. The Bafana Bafana eliminated Morocco in the last round and will be confident. Nigeria will be waiting for the winner in the semis.
Mali and hosts Ivory Coast will play the remaining quarter-final fixture. The Ivorians will be confident after winning the penalty shoot-out against Senegal in their Round of 16 match. Mali are a tough team to beat and the hosts might find it difficult to make it to the next round. DR Congo are waiting for the winner of this match in the semi-final.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Ivory Coast won their quarter-final clash against Mali. After going down to 10 men inside the first half, the hosts were on the back foot. They conceded a goal and then equalised and took the game into extra time. A late winner secured a berth in the semis.
South Africa became the last team to make it to the last four after winning their quarter-final clash against Cape Verde. The match was goalless and went to penalties, which the Bafana Bafana won 2-1.
AFCON 2023 semi-final teams
- Manisha Kalyan adjudged 'Best Midfielder' of Turkish Women's Cup 2024
- Rating new faces from last week of February who should be in contention for India call-up
- Indian Football Team Player Watch: Amrinder, Chhetri excel; Mehtab, Poojary need to improve
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16