Top 10 best U21 signings in January transfer window 2024
January transfer window 2024 window is done and dusted, and this U21 stars were on the move
The 2023-24 season is halfway over with. Even the anticipated January transfer window is closed. The winter transfer window saw a good number of under-21 players make a move. From Claudio Echeverri’s move to the Premier League to double U21 signings by Paris Saint-Germain.
The following list is the top 10 U-21 moves that were completed this 2024 January.
10. Manfred Ugalde (Twente Enschede to Spartak Moscow) – €13M
In the January 2024 transfer window striker Manfred Ugalde was on the move. The 21-year-old who was playing in the Netherlands with Twente Enschede FC agreed on all personal terms. The amount that the Russian club paid for Ugalde is a record sale at the Dutch outfit only behind Dusan Tadic.
9. Claudio Echeverri (River Plate to Man City) – €14.5M
Claudio Echeverri is a U17 midfielder for the Argentina national football team and was previously at the Argentinian club River Plate. Premier League side Manchester City did a similar deal for Echeverri as they did a while back for Julian Alvarez. Although the midfielder penned a four-and-a-half-year deal, he has been sent back on loan for the remaining year.
8. Malick Fofana (KAA Gent to Olympique Lyon) – €17M
The 31 March 2005 born proved to be an immediate impact player for Ligue 1 club Olympique Lyon. In his first ever first team action, Malick Fofana scored a goal in a Coupe de France match against Bergerac Périgord FC. The French side has tied him down until June 2028 after successfully negotiating terms with KAA Gent from Belgium.
7. Marcos Leonardo (Santos to Benfica) – €18M
The services of the 20-year-old forward were greatly admired by AS Roma as well. But as things made out, we saw Portuguese giants SL Benfica get the talents of Marcos Leonardo on board in the winter transfer window. Brazilian side Santos reportedly were paid €18M for letting go of Leonardo.
6. Arthur Vermeeren (Royal Antwerp to Atlético de Madrid) – €18M
One of the LaLiga giants was busy in the transfer market in January. Diego Simeone’s Atlético de Madrid agreed transaction terms with Belgium side Royal Antwerp a few days before the deadline day. Arthur Vermeeren agreed to a six-and-a-half-year contract. Aged 18, the central midfielder already has two caps for Belgium.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
5. Gabriel Moscardo (SC Corinthians to PSG) – €20M
Another 18-year-old footballer getting a dream move this January. Gabriel Moscardo was signed by the big guns of French football Paris Saint-Germain. Although Moscardo has penned a deal until 2028, he will play the remainder season on loan at Corinthians.
4. Lucas Beraldo (São Paulo to PSG) – €20M
Moscardo wasn’t the only Brazilian getting recognized by the club at the heart of France. Lucas Beraldo goes by the nickname ‘The Joker’ and is a talented defender. With a quality left foot, the player has an immense ability to work the ball under pressure and pass to his teammates. The centre back however wasn’t loaned back like in the case of Moscardo.
3. Adam Wharton (Blackburn Rovers to Crystal Palace) – €21M
A deal between Crystal Palace and EFL Championship side Blackburn Rovers became the most expensive deadline-day transfer for January 2024. The 19-year-old Adam Wharton was the man for whom the dealing happened in the first place. Already a U20 England player, Wharton revealed, “The way Palace develop players is a big reason why I came here”.
2. Radu Dragusin (Genoa to Tottenham) – €25M
English side Tottenham Hotspur were able to beat the likes of Bayern Munich in the signing saga of Radu Drăgușin. The defender moves from Italy’s Genoa and joins the Spurs team in a contract set to expire in June 2030. The Romanian centre-back stands at 1.91 metres tall.
1. Vitor Roque (Club Athletico Paranaense to Barcelona) – €40M
The forward has already proven his quality in LaLiga. In a league fixture against Osasuna, Vitor Roque came on from the bench at 0-0 in the 62 minute and a minute later scored the winning goal for FC Barcelona. The 18-year-old wears number 19 at the Blaugranas after leaving Brazil to play club football outside for the very first time.
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history