U-20 starlets Jovial Dias and Mevan Dias scored for the Gaurs on Tuesday.  

FC Goa secured an easy 2-0 win over Velsao SCC in the Goa Professional League opener at the Duler Stadium on Tuesday afternoon.

FC Goa had few changes to their side as Versly Paes, Jovial Dias and Mevan Dias were promoted to the development side from their junior team. New signing Manushawn Fernandes was handed a start for the Gaurs against Velsao. At the other end, Seldon Pereira and Velito Cruz were the new faces in Velsao’s starting XI.  

FC Goa came close to scoring in the 10th minute when Vasim Hawaldar tried to find his teammate in the box with a low cross but Mevan Dias could not reach the ball. A minute later, Velsao came back with a fierce attack as their forward Rohan Rodrigues made a darting run and shot on the goal from inside the box. However, FC Goa keeper Hensal Coelho made a brilliant block.

FC Goa were presented with another opportunity to take the lead in the 15th minute as Vasim made a brilliant through pass to Jovial in the box. However, the U-20 midfielder failed to convert the chance as he shot over the bars. At the other end, Velsao also came close to take the lead as young forward Rohan intercepted a pass from FC Goa’s Manushawn Fernandes and entered the box but failed to find the back of the nets.

Velsao missed yet another big chance to take the lead in the 26th minute as a cross by Cyrus Noronha was wasted by Ronaldo Pereira’s header.

FC Goa punished Velsao for not capitalising on an easy opportunity and broke the deadlock in the 27th minute. Jovial shot from distance to defeat Velsao keeper Jeet Gupta to make the score 1-0.

Ivon Costa almost doubled the lead for FC Goa in the 40th minute with a long distance free-kick. However, the midfielder was unlucky to see it hit the crossbar before going out for a goal kick.

Velsao came close to scoring once again from a counter-attack a couple of minutes later. Their defender Cyrus nicely curled the ball to Chandel Fernandes in the box, but the youngster headed the ball wide.

FC Goa were the dominant side in the second half as they created three more potent chances in the next 45 minutes. Deeshank sent a pin-point perfect free-kick to Mevan Dias but the Gaurs were denied by the woodwork for the second time in the match. They received another chance to double their lead in the 85th minute, however, Velsao Keeper Jeet blocked Mevan’s shot.

Mevan managed to get into the scoresheet in the added minutes, helping FC Goa to register a 2-0 vicotory.

For more football updates, follow Khel Now on TwitterInstagram and join our community on Telegram.