Both goals of the game happened in the dying minutes.

In a late drama, Vasco SC held Sporting Clube de Goa in an entertaining 1-1 draw in the Goa Football Association Selvel Goa Professional League at Duler Stadium, Mapusa, on Saturday. 

Akeraj Martins gave Sporting Clube de Goa the lead in the 85th minute. However, Joston Cardoz brought the game back to level terms in the 88th minute, by scoring for Vasco SC from a spot-kick.

Vasco SC had an impressive start in the game. They pressed hard and fielded a strong midfield lineup, thereby forcing Sporting Clube de Goa to defend and remain cautious throughout the match. Clive Miranda and Joel Colaco made some interceptions to thwart danger early on.

At the other end, Sporting Clube de Goa got a good chance when Stendly Fernandes played Akeraj Martins through on goal. However, the latter’s cross was intercepted by Vasco keeper Luis Barreto. Later, Bersal Viegas played in another long delivery from the half way mark to find an unmarked Chirag Mardolkar. The youngster managed to get past Allan Peixoto, however, his low cross in the penalty area was pushed for a corner by Clive Miranda. 

Stendly Fernandes then came close to scoring from a direct free kick, but his well-taken shot narrowly missed the frame. Afterwards, Dattaraj played another long ball in the area which Rio Fernandes couldn’t control.

Vasco would have nearly scored on a counter attack when Cavin Lobo played an amazing through-ball to Francisco Fernandes setting him free on goal. However, Francisco’s goal-bound effort was blocked by Allan Peixoto, who slid past the Port Town keeper.

Crossing over, Vasco SC had a chance to break the deadlock when Francisco Fernandes played in a cross from the left to Reeve Dawson Costa, who shot wide from the edge of the box.  At the other end, Brandon Fernandes whipped in a cross from the right, but Rohit Totad couldn’t get a strong connect to his header.

In the 53rd minute there was a penalty shout from the Sporting Clube when Rohit Totad was brought down in the box, but the referee signalled for the play to continue. Sporting then had a shot on target in the 55th minute when Girish Naik’s header was guided in by Joel, but the defender’s header was easily saved by Vasco custodian Luis. 

Finally in the 85th minute, Sporting Clube de Goa broke the deadlock . It was a brilliant play from he Flaming Oranje, as Stendly played Myron on the far right and the second half substitute found Akeraj Martins upfront. Despite being marked, Martins fired home from distance.

Vasco SC were awarded a penalty in the dying minutes of the game when Joston Cardozo was brought down in the box by Girish Naik. Joston himself took the kick and converted to make it 1-1.

For more football updates, follow Khel Now on TwitterInstagram and join our community on Telegram.