ATP Finals 2023: Rohan Bopanna-Matt Ebden register maiden group stage win
The pair defeated reigning Australian Open champions in straight sets.
India’s tennis maestro Rohan Bopanna combined with Matthew Ebden to register their maiden victory at ATP Finals 2023. The pair got the better of Australian Open 2023 champions Jason Kubler-Rinky Hijikata in straight games (6-4, 6-4) in their second group stage encounter. The Indo-Australian pair has bounced back well after losing in the opener to defending champions Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury.
Bopanna and Ebden hardly put any foot wrong throughout the encounter which lasted for close to an hour. The pair recorded 12 aces and had a close to 100 percent win on the first serves. The win percentage in the second service was 83 percent to opponents’ 61.
The opening set was evenly poised at 4-4 with both pairs winning their respective service games. The experienced Indo-Australian pairing broke the Australian duo’s service and proceeded to win the following game thereby winning the set 6-4. Unlike the previous set, Bopanna and Ebden struck early in the second set and broke Hijikata’s service at (1-1).
This was sufficient for the third seed as they held onto the momentum till the end of the encounter. Both pairs from here progressed forward winning their respective service games. In the end, Rohan Bopanna finished the match in style with an ace to register a maiden win in the current edition of ATP Finals 2023.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Gold Coast drops Commonwealth Games 2026 bid, leaving CGF in crisis
- Ashwini Ponnappa-Tanisha Crasto climb four spots to enter top 30 in women’s doubles BWF rankings
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
After losing the opening encounter, the experienced duo bounced back strongly and stuck to their basics. As always, Ebden was rock solid near the net and returned few service shots with ease.
In the final group stage encounter, Bopanna and Ebden are set to clash alongside second seeds Neil Skupski and Wesley Koolhof. A win here will seal their place in the semifinals.