Liverpool among several Premier League clubs interested in Benfica's Joao Neves
Joao Neves is a regular for the Portuguese club this season
According to reports, Liverpool are one of the few teams vying for Joao Neves, the newest midfield wonder at Benfica.
This season, Neves, 19, has emerged as a vital member of the Portuguese team, starting 16 games in what has been a career-defining season for him thus far.
The defensive midfielder is the most recent in a long list of highly regarded players in the team, which also includes up-to-date star Florentino Luis, whom Liverpool has previously looked at, as well as former players Enzo Fernandez, Nemanja Matic, Bernardo Silva, Andre Gomes, and Axel Witsel.
‘The Portuguese international has been followed, in the Premier League, by Manchester United and Manchester City, but now Arsenal and Liverpool are also paying attention to Benfica’s number 87 shirt,’ according to Portuguese outlet OJogo, which is also citing interest from a few other Premier League clubs. This information was disclosed earlier this month.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
According to the most recent reports, Liverpool has his given name “already written in capital letters on the lists of reinforcements,” and the chief executive of Benfica, Rui Costa, is about to begin talks on a new contract that would contain a 150 million euro release clause.
Neves, who competed in every age level from U15 to U21, just made his senior debut for his nation. He has already earned a trio of games off the bench against Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Bosnia.
His all-around, all-action profile is impressive, and he and Luis have forged a solid midfield relationship. He has averaged an amazing three tackles, more than two blocks, 87% pass accuracy, seven progressive passes, and over two winning aerial duels per match during the past year.
- Top 10 biggest bans in football history
- Top five long-term replacements for Kevin De Bruyne at Manchester City
- Top five youngest players to feature in Premier League 2023-24
- Top 33 fastest football players in the world in 2024
- Adelaide United goalie Grace Wilson becomes first non-binary footballer in Australia