Dortmund's tough test away to Leverkusen, Bayern search for 7th straight win in Bundesliga 2023-24 matchday 13
Bayer Leverkusen have a two-point lead against Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga table
FC Bayern München are looking formidable after taking their sixth consecutive win in the Bundesliga at 1. FC Köln, with Harry Kane netting the winning goal in Cologne. The English star striker now has 18 goals already this season as his phenomenal start to life in German football continues. Bayern will be expected to take another win on Saturday against 1. FC Union Berlin, but the visitors are seeing a glimmer of hope that they may be able to end their own poor run.
A late goal secured a 1-1 draw for Union against FC Augsburg, marking the Berlin side’s first point in 10 Bundesliga matches and lifting them off the bottom of the table ahead of Cologne. Die Eisernen appointed a new coach after that tie, Nenad Bjelica, who will be eager to inspire his side to a strong showing at the champions on his Bundesliga debut.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen remain top of the table after taking their eighth win in a row in convincing style (3-0) at SV Werder Bremen. They host Borussia Dortmund on Sunday, who showed great resilience in battling back from 2-0 down to beat Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-2 last weekend. BVB are sure to target a result at the league leaders as a great boon for their spirits after an inconsistent run.
Should any of the top two slip up, third-placed VfB Stuttgart would have a chance to close the gap a little. Stuttgart gained an impressive 2-1 win at Eintracht Frankfurt last weekend, with Deniz Undav scoring a brace. They host Werder Bremen on Saturday evening.
RB Leipzig’s 2-1 defeat to VfL Wolfsburg saw them slip out of the top four into fifth place behind Dortmund. A home encounter with 1. FC Heidenheim 1846 on Saturday presents a chance for a return to winning ways, but victory against the hard-working newly promoted outfit cannot be taken for granted. Heidenheim are in 12th after taking a 0-0 draw at home to VfL Bochum 1848 on Saturday.
Bochum host Wolfsburg on Saturday in another interesting fixture, with the Ruhr club on a four-match unbeaten streak and the Wolves eager to press on after taking their first win in six.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Matchday 13 starts on Friday evening with a key battle at the bottom end of the table. SV Darmstadt 98 in 15th host bottom side Köln, with the encounter offering an important chance for both teams to claim vital points. The hosts are without a win in six Bundesliga matches and the visitors winless in four.
1. FSV Mainz 05 are positioned behind Darmstadt in 16th but are showing signs of an upturn in form under interim coach Jan Siewert. They are unbeaten in the past four as they prepare to host SC Freiburg on Saturday. Freiburg are just inside the top half in ninth place but have not won in four matches for the first time in three years.
Augsburg remain unbeaten under new coach Jess Thorup and will host an Eintracht side on Sunday that suffered just their second defeat of the campaign last weekend against Stuttgart.
TSG Hoffenheim are in sixth place currently, meaning it remains a good start to the season under American coach Pellegrino Matarazzo, but they have not won in their past three matches and must go away to 11th-placed Mönchengladbach this Saturday.
Down in Bundesliga 2, the weekend kicks off with a huge derby as leaders FC St. Pauli welcome neighbours Hamburger SV, who are only one place and three points below them in the table. Which side of Hamburg will be celebrating before the eyes of the world once again turn to the city on Saturday for the UEFA Euro 2024 group draw?
- Top five managers who could replace Thomas Tuchel at Bayern Munich
- Europeans have started watching more Asian football now, asserts Madih Talal
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect