Erling Haaland set to miss Man City's trip to Luton
Manchester City are winless in their last five matches
Erling Haaland might not be available for Manchester City’s trip to Luton today, although Rodri and Jack Grealish are available.
For the first time in his illustrious managerial career, Pep Guardiola has now lost four games in a row after the pair received suspensions for Wednesday’s defeat to high-flying Aston Villa.
The addition of Rodri to the team will be especially beneficial. Other than Erling Haaland, who is arguably the one player this all-star City team cannot live without, Guardiola’s team has lost all three of the Premier League matches the midfielder has missed this year.
Grealish’s return will also relieve the pressure offensively. Since Jeremy Doku was absent from the Villa match and is still undergoing evaluation, the England international may get another opportunity to reclaim the starting spot from the Belgian.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
However, unconfirmed rumours on Saturday night suggested that Haaland will miss the match, meaning the champions might be without the striker. It was unclear whether the potential absence was caused by an injury or not.
Guardiola has acknowledged that although Kevin De Bruyne is making a return, the forthcoming Club World Cup may be too soon for the midfield player.
“Kevin is so important,” said Guardiola. “But unfortunately, he’s had a tough injury for three or four months. Don’t put pressure on him, when he’s back we’ll have open arms for him.
“But I’ve said to the team, do you know how we struggled to get the Treble? We were eight or nine points behind Arsenal.
“With all the problems and injuries we had. It’s normal, that’s why we gave credit to the Treble.”
- Top 10 biggest bans in football history
- Top five long-term replacements for Kevin De Bruyne at Manchester City
- Top five youngest players to feature in Premier League 2023-24
- Top 33 fastest football players in the world in 2024
- Adelaide United goalie Grace Wilson becomes first non-binary footballer in Australia