Germany clinch their first-ever FIFA U-17 World Cup title after win against France
The final of the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2023 was decided on penalties
Paris Brunner gave Germany the lead in their second final. The Borrusia Dortmund forward converted from the penalty spot in the 29th minute. Barcelona’s sensation Noah Darvich scored in the 51st minute to give Germany a command in this crucial match.
Saimon Bouarbe had other ideas and scored just two minutes after the second goal. Winners Mark Osawe was shown a red card and the U-17 World champions were reduced to 10 men. Mathis Amougou’s goal in the 85th minute meant that Germany had to play another 30 minutes with 10 players on the field.
France dominated the possession but the Germans managed to hit the target on more occasions.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Robert Ramsak, Max Moerstadt, Fayssal Harchaoui and Almugera Kabar scored their spot-kicks as Germany prevailed 4-3 on penalties, adding the world title to the European one they won at this level in June.
Germany missed its first penalty, but France missed attempts three and four. That set Germany up with a chance to win it in round five, but the eventual winners did not convert the chance. One round later, Germany were the champions.
This is the first FIFA U-17 World Cup for Germany, whose only other final appearance came in 1985 as West Germany. France was bidding to win a second U-17 tournament. Nigeria’s the top all-time winner with five crowns to Brazil’s four.
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect
- Injury sidelines Kerala Blasters goalie Sachin Suresh for 'significant duration'
- Top five youngest players to score in 6 consecutive Premier League games