Nico Williams' release clause remains €50m despite extending contract at Athletic Club
Nico Williams extended his contract with Athletic Club until 2027
Nico Williams formally signed a new deal with Athletic Club earlier this week, tying him to the team through the end of the 2026–2027 campaign.
The 21-year-old is thought to be one of the best players in Spanish football, and his previous contract was scheduled to expire next summer.
Athletic withheld the value of his new release clause from the public when his new deal was announced, but it has now come to light.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Williams’ release has reportedly stayed at €50 million, according to rumours transmitted by Estadio Deportivo. This might mean that he leaves the team possibly in the summer. Clubs would undoubtedly have little trouble setting it off, though Barcelona could not be one of them given their financial difficulties.
Williams’ future with Athletic Club is still up in the air, but given the level of interest, it might be quite challenging.
Even though there is currently no indication that the player wishes to leave Bilbao, his club is protected in any case.
His new release clause, according to Mundo Deportivo, has been set at a realistic €50 million/£43 million, which would exclude Barcelona, who are still having financial difficulties.
If Williams had been a free agent in June, things would have been very different, but the club is more interested in signing Joao Felix and other players, therefore the Williams deal is doomed to fail.
- Top five managers who could replace Thomas Tuchel at Bayern Munich
- Europeans have started watching more Asian football now, asserts Madih Talal
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect