Nico Williams extends contract at Athletic Bilbao until 2027
Barcelona and Real Madrid wanted to sign Nico Williams
The LaLiga team announced on Friday that Spanish international Nico Williams had signed with Athletic Bilbao till 2027.
The club disclosed that the 21-year-old winger agreed to extend his present deal, which was set to run its course in June 2024, by a further three seasons without disclosing the financial terms.
Athletic Bilbao’s younger brother, forward Inaki Williams, netted nine goals in 43 games in every competition for the team in the previous campaign.
In June 2024, the one-year deal of Inaki Williams’ younger brother, who additionally plays for Athletic Bilbao, was about to expire.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top five most valuable squads in football
- Top 10 players with biggest rating upgrade in EA FC 24
- Ranking the favourites to win Best FIFA Men’s Player Award 2023
- Top five favourites to win Serie A 2023-24 based on odds
- Top 10 footballers who were banned for doping
In 43 games for his team in all competitions this year, he netted nine goals.
Nico’s agency has informed Athletic that he is a highly desired player after Nico turned down a generous offer a few months ago by Unai Emery’s Aston Villa. The offer comprised a portion of his €50 million release clause in addition to an annual salary of €7 million.
The Spain international prefers to remain in Bilbao over making money, although he may take on another assignment in the not-too-distant future.
Barcelona had only considered recruiting Nico if he would be available for free, so this effectively puts an end to their pursuit of him, at least for the foreseeable future.
Savinho of Girona is another winger that the Blaugrana are thought to be interested in signing for the summer, however, Manchester City may have some ideas for the Brazilian.
- Europeans have started watching more Asian football now, asserts Madih Talal
- AIFF to approach Anti Corruption Bureau for alleged match-fixing incident in Delhi
- Will 5th place Premier League team get into Champions League? Rules explained as Manchester United close gap
- Delhi Soccer Association suspends Ahbab FC with immediate effect
- Injury sidelines Kerala Blasters goalie Sachin Suresh for 'significant duration'