The Russian has already played in the finals of two Grand Slam tournaments.
Russian next-gen star Daniil Medvedev is a professional tennis player currently ranked sixth globally. The 6-foot-6-inch player is known for his unusual-looking impactful forehand with a little swirl, which makes it difficult for his opponent to handle.
His meteoric rise to the top has been noteworthy, and he has been dubbed as the next superstar of tennis, taking over from the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic.
During the 2020 Nitto ATP Finals, Medvedev defeated Djokovic, Nadal, and Dominic Thiem, the top three players in the world rankings. The Russian became the first player in tournament history and on the ATP Tour since 2007 to defeat the top three players.
Daniil Medvedev’s crowning achievement came in 2021 when he won his first Grand Slam title, defeating Novak Djokovic in the final. He has also reached two other Slam finals: the 2019 US Open final, where he took Rafael Nadal to five sets, and the 2021 Australian Open final, where he was defeated in straight sets by Djokovic.
The Russian has won 18 titles, including one Grand Slam. In 2018, he won his first ATP Tour title in Sydney. His most recent victory came on February 27, 2023, when he followed up his Rotterdam title by defeating Andy Murray in Doha and Andrey Rublevin in Dubai.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Formula 1: Major takeaways from Saudi Arabian GP 2023
- Treesa Jolly & Gayatri Gopichand: Punching above their weight
- PV Sindhu hits new low with All England Open first round exit
- Revealed: India’s five most followed sports in 2023
Daniil Medvedev: Grand Slam singles record:
Australian Open: Finalist (2021, 2022)
French Open: Quarter-finalist (2021)
Wimbledon: Fourth Round (2021)
US Open: Champion (2021), Finalist (2019)
Daniil Medvedev: ATP Masters 1000 Wins (split by year):
Tokyo, Winston-Salem, Sydney.
Shanghai, St. Petersburg, Cincinnati, Sofia.
Nitto ATP Finals, Paris.
Canada, Mallorca, Marseille.
Vienna, Los Cabos.
Dubai, Doha, Rotterdam.
Daniil Medvedev: Other Accomplishments:
- He was World No. 1 for 16 weeks in 2022, becoming the tallest No. 1 in history at 1.98m (6’6″) and the first No. 1 other than Djokovic, Federer, Murray, and Nadal since Roddick in 2004.
- Four-time Grand Slam finalist has a 5-3 record against Djokovic when the Serb is World No. 1, including a 6-4 6-4 6-4 win in the 2021 US Open final that denied Djokovic a calendar Grand Slam.
- Daniil Medvedev won 20 consecutive matches from 2020 to 2021 (12 against the Top 10), led the ATP Tour with 63 victories in 2021, and won team titles at the 2021 ATP Cup, Laver Cup, and Davis Cup.
- He won 17 of his 18 singles titles on hard courts and all 18 of his titles at various events, including the ATP Masters 1000 championships in Cincinnati in 2019, Shanghai in 2019, Paris in 2020, and Toronto in 2021.
For more updates, follow Khel Now on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram and join our community on Telegram.
Leave a Reply