Arianne Hartono, Katie Volynets ease into semifinals of Mumbai Open 2024
Storm Hunter and Darja Semenistaja are the other semifinalists.
Eighth seeded American Katie Volynets and unseeded Dutchwoman Arianne Hartono eased into singles semifinals of the L&T Mumbai Open WTA 125K Series Tennis Championships, being organized by the Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association (MSLTA) and the Cricket Club of India (CCI).
The 22-year-old Volynets dashed the hopes of 21-year-old South Korean lucky loser Sohyun Park, racing to a quick 6-1, 6-2 in a one-sided quarter-final match at the iconic CCI courts on Friday afternoon.
The American, who dashed the aspirations of Indian wild-carder Rutuja Bhosale in a second-round match on Thursday evening, will next meet Storm Hunter for a spot in Sunday’s final. Hunter currently ranked No 3 in the world in doubles, advanced to the semifinals after Russian teen Alina Korneeva withdrew from the tournament due to a viral illness. The Australian had also benefited from a retirement earlier in the week when Hungary’s Fanny Stollar withdrew after trailing 0-3 in the first set of their first-round clash.
Later in the day, Dutchwoman Hartono reached the singles semi-finals after Japan’s Moyuka Uchijima retired with the Dutchwoman leading 6-3, 4-3. Hartono is now in contention for a double triumph in this event after reaching the doubles semi-finals with India’s Prarthana Thombare on Thursday.
Hartono will next face sixth seed Darja Semenistaja of Latvia who easily defeated 20-year-old Russian Polina Kudermetova in two straight sets at 6-4, 6-3 in the evening session match of the day.
The semifinals of both the singles and doubles event will take place on Saturday with the finals being held on Sunday February 11.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Indian hockey player Varun Kumar accused of rape of minor, booked under POSCO act
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
L&T Mumbai Open WTA 125K Series February 9 (Friday) Results
8-Katie Volynets (USA) beat LL-Sohyun Park (KOR) 6-1, 6-2
Arianne Hartono (NED) beat Moyuka Uchijima (JPN) 6-3, 4-3 (retd)
Storm Hunter (AUS) W/o Alina Korneeva
6-Darja Semenistaja (LAT) beat Polina Kudermetova 6-4, 6-3
- WTA Qatar Open 2024: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Bengaluru Open 2024 ATP Challenger: Updated schedule, fixtures, results, live streaming details
- Full list of players who have withdrawn from the WTA Qatar Open 2024
- All you need to know about WTA Qatar Open 2024 Prize Money
- Indian tennis players to reach top 100 of ATP Rankings in men's singles