BWF World Championships 2023: HS Prannoy, Satwik-Chirag advance to quarter-finals; Lakshya Sen bows out
Treesa-Gayatri also exited after loss against No. 1 pair.
India’s No. 1 HS Prannoy advanced into his third consecutive quarter-final at the BWF World Championships after a stunning win over former champion Loh Kean Yew of Singapore. It was, however, a mixed day for India as Lakshya Sen bowed out of BWF World Championships 2023 after a tough fight.
It was a similar story in doubles as Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty progressed while it was curtains for Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand.
Satwik-Chirag advanced into the quarter-finals with a hard-fought win over Leo Rolly Carnando and Daniel Marthin of Indonesia thanks to a 21-15, 19-21, 21-9 scoreline. The pair are the only remaining medal hope for India in the doubles category at BWF World Championships 2023. Denmark’s Kim Astrup and Anders Rasmussen, who they face next, are the only remaining obstacle for a second medal for Satwik-Chirag.
The men’s singles category saw a day full of mixed emotions as Lakshya Sen was knocked out of the tournament while HS Prannoy made it into the quarter-final. The latter beat Kean Yew Loh of Singapore by a score of 21-18, 15-21, 21-19. Seeded ninth, the Indian will next face top seed Viktor Axelsen for a place in the semis.
Lakshya Sen put up a tough fight but came out second best in his last 16 clash. Bronze medal winner at the 2021 BWF World Championships, Sen went down fighting against third seed Kunlavut Vitidsarn of Thailand by 14-21, 21-16, 13-21 score. It took one hour and nine minutes to decide the winner of the contest where the 11th seed was simply outfought by a determined opponent.
In Women’s Doubles, Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand were demolished by the top-seeded Chinese pairing of Qing Chen Chen and Yi Fan Jia by a 14-21, 9-21 scoreline. Their defeat ended India’s challenge in women’s categories at the BWF World Championships 2023.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023 Opening Ceremony Live Updates
- Asian Games 2023: Updated India schedule for September 23
- Asian Games 2023, September 22 Updated Results: Indian volleyball team march into quarters; table tennis teams make winning start
- Indian table tennis teams make winning start to Asian Games 2023
- Asian Games 2023: Sports Minister Anurag Thakur cancels China trip after Arunachal Pradesh players denied visa
- Asian Games 2023: India men’s volleyball team defeat Chinese Taipei, through to quarterfinals
- Indian men’s basketball team go down fighting against Qatar in FIBA U-16 Asian Championship 2023 pre-quarters
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
India’s performance on Day 4 of BWF World Championships 2023
Men’s Singles Round of 16
H.S. Prannoy beat Kean Yew Loh (21-18, 15-21, 21-19)
Lakshya Sen lost to Kunlavut Vitidsarn (14-21, 21-16, 13-21)
Men’s Doubles Round of 16
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy / Chirag Shetty beat Leo Rolly Carnando and Daniel Marthin (21-15, 19-21, 21-9)
Women’s Doubles Round of 16
Treesa Jolly / Gayatri Gopichand lost to Qing Chen Chen and Yi Fan Jia (14-21, 9-21)
posted in :