UCL: PSG vs Real Sociedad: Predicted lineup, injury news, head-to-head, telecast
Group of Death runners-up set to collide with Group D winners
This February, the Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain have already taken the field for three competitive games. Apart from two wins in league fixtures, PSG also progressed from the Round of 16 in the French Cup. In the UEFA Champions League, the capital club of France were seeded in the group of death. Eventually, they made it by finishing second in Group F which had clubs such as – Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan and Newcastle United.
From the Spanish division, Real Sociedad were involved in Group D. Even though their group had opponents such as Inter Milan, SL Benfica and RB Salzburg, Txuri-urdin finished first. This allowed them to seed in the Round of 16 draw. The Spanish outfit will now take on the French giants in an away fixture for the first leg.
Wednesday, 14 February 2024 at 8:00 PM UK
Thursday, 15 February 2024 at 1:30 AM IST
Location: Parc des Princes
PSG (in all competitions): W-W-W-D-W
Real Sociedad (in all competitions): L-D-D-D-W
Players to Watch
Warren Zaïre-Emery (PSG)
Although Kylian Mbappe may be the biggest player in the squad, the likes of Warren Zaïre-Emery also have made an impact in UCL. At just 17, finding a regular place in the starting lineup also shows his class and calibre. In the continental competition alone, Zaïre-Emery has 3 assists and a goal in 5 outings.
Mikel Merino (Real Sociedad)
One of the central midfielders from the Spanish side can be the one to watch. Mikel Merino took part in 5 of the group-stage games. In those games, Merino provided an assist and also a goal. The player is good at winning the ball back and distributing it to his teammates.
- This meeting will be historic as both sides have never faced each other ever competitively
- The hosts have failed to progress further than the Round of 16 for the last two seasons
- This will be Real Sociedad’s second-ever attempt to qualify from the Round of 16. Their only attempt previously dates back to the 2003-04 season when they were knocked out by another French side named Olympique Lyon
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Injury & Team News
Good news for PSG and head coach Luis Enrique as superstar Mbappe is back in training. Players who will miss this leg are – Layvin Kurzawa, Alexandre Letellier, Milan Skriniar, goalkeeper Sergio Rico, Nuno Mendes and Presnel Kimpembe.
Imanol Alguacil’s men will have to deal with the might of Ligue 1 giants without the services of Sheraldo Becker, Álvaro Odriozola, Kieran Tierney, Aihen Muñoz and Carlos Fernández. All five of these players are out injured.
Head to Head
Total Matches – 0
PSG wins – 0
Real Sociedad wins – 0
Draws – 0
This first leg Round of 16 fixture will be the first-ever meeting competitively for PSG and Real Sociedad.
PSG predicted lineup (3-4-2-1):
Donnarumma (GK); Marquinhos, Beraldo, Hernandez; Hakimi, Zaire-Emery, Vitinha, Barcola; Dembele, Kolo Muani; Mbappe
Real Sociedad predicted lineup (4-1-4-1):
Remiro (GK); Traore, Zubeldia, Le Normand, Javi Galán; Zubimendi; Kubo, Merino, Zakharyan, Oyarzabal; André Silva
Match Prediction for PSG vs Real Sociedad
Nervily enough PSG have made it to the Round of 16. Real Sociedad may have triumphed in Group D but their recent form shows struggles. They have gone four games without scoring in all competitions of late. This can be the cause of trouble as the upcoming oppositions have plenty of scoring threats of their own. A home win is the likely outcome.
Prediction: PSG 1-0 Real Sociedad
Telecast for PSG vs Real Sociedad
India – Sony Sports Network
UK – TNT Sports
US – CBS, TUDN
Nigeria – Supersport
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history
- "I was spat into my face" Inter Kashi's Peter Hartley lashes out at Real Kashmir player
- Top four Manchester United players to score in six consecutive Premier League matches