Why did FIFA ban Neymar's 'feint-kick' penalty technique?
FIFA have made some changes in football penalty rules over the years
A young Brazilian player named Neymar made his big debut at Santos and went on to play for Barcelona, PSG, and now Al-Hilal in Saudi Arabia. It feels like a lifetime ago.
Fans of the South American are recalling how, at the age of 32 and seemingly nearing the end of his career, his potent spot-kick style once forced FIFA to modify their penalty rules.
Before completing a lifelong move to Barcelona for a startling £49 million in 2013, Neymar tallied 73 goals in 142 games for Santos.
A video of the superstar scoring penalties in his unique technique during his breakout years at Santos—a style he was later forced to give up—has gone viral.
Out of the 14 penalties the legendary Brazilian scored for Santos, at least five were made using Neymar’s previously unique run-up.
Neymar would frequently receive the ball and place it down on the mark before coming to a stop right in before the shot, waiting for the custodian to dive, and then rolling his attempt into the other corner.
Trending World Football Articles:
- Top four players with most goals in 2023
- Top six players with most assists in 2023
- Best goals scored in football in 2023: Ranked
- Top 10 best footballers of 2023: Ranked
- Best football matches of 2023: Ranked
Since it delayed the way they responded when attempting to make a save, opposing goalkeepers feel that the action provided the spot-kicker an unfair edge.
His move helped FIFA implement a ban 14 years ago, which prevented players in professional games from using the feint-style run-up.
The world governing body of football declared Neymar’s previous penalty approach to be “unsporting” and amended the legislation to prevent players from stopping their running before striking the ball.
“Feinting to kick the ball once the player has completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of unsportsmanlike behaviour for which the player must be cautioned,” said a document that FIFA distributed at the time of the verdict.
- Three losses in a row for FC Goa and other talking points from ISL 2023-24 GW 16
- Dimitrios Diamantakos, Mirshad Michu headline ISL 2023-24 Team of GW 16
- ISL 2023-24: Who tops Khel Now’s Power Rankings in Phase 3?
- Top five most successful English clubs of all-time
- Top 10 clubs with most Carabao Cup titles in history