Indian women's hockey team go down to Netherlands, face consecutive defeats in FIH Pro League 2023-24
(Courtesy : Hockey India)
Navneet Kaur scored the only goal for India.
The Indian women’s hockey team lost 1-3 against the Netherlands in the Women’s FIH Pro League 2023-24 at Kalinga Hockey Stadium, Bhubaneswar on Sunday. Netherlands’ Yibbi Jansen (3’, 34’) and Fay van der Elst (21’) etched their name on the scoresheet. Meanwhile, Navneet Kaur (9‘) scored the only goal for India.
India’s goalkeeper Savita was called to action right from the get-go, saving successive shots at her goal. Soon after, the Netherlands were awarded a penalty corner and this season’s leading goalscorer, Yibbi Jansen, powered a shot down the middle of the goal to grant the Netherlands an early lead. As the Netherlands looked to sit back and absorb the pressure, an Indian counter-attack caught them by surprise.
Sunelita Toppo ventured down the right wing and found Navneet Kaur at the top of the shooting circle who turned around and unleashed a thunderous strike that brought India back on level terms.
The Netherlands came close to scoring as the second quarter began when Pien Dicke dodged past the Indian defence but her shot hit the post and deflected away. The Indian women’s hockey team went on to create a goalscoring chance of their own as Sunelita found herself in acres of space, and picked out Vandana Katariya who was one-on-one with the Netherlands’ goalkeeper Josine Koning, but she rushed out to diffuse the situation.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- India vs Netherlands Live Updates, Women’s FIH Pro League 2023-24
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- India takes 2-0 lead over Pakistan in Davis Cup 2024 World Group I play-off
- Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha’s dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women’s singles semis
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- HS Prannoy climbs a spot to seventh in latest BWF rankings
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
India continued to look for a chink in Netherlands’ armour but Laura Nunnink initiated a counterattack and sprayed a quick pass to Fay van der Elst who dove to deflect the ball past Savita and restored Netherlands’ lead. Both teams went on to earn a couple of penalty corners but the scoreline remained 2-1 at the end of the first half.
Netherlands piled pressure on India in the third quarter, eventually earning a penalty corner and Yibbi Jansen let loose a powerful drag flick to beat Savita and make it 3-1. They were awarded another penalty corner soon after. However, Savita battered away the shot on goal. As India searched for a goal, they occasionally pushed the Netherlands back into their own half but were unable to stitch together the final pass.
The fourth quarter witnessed the game become stretched with both teams creating back-to-back chances. India went on to earn a penalty corner two minutes into the quarter but the Netherlands’ defence held sway. As the exchange of chances continued, Yibbi Jansen looked to extend Netherlands’ lead with a reverse shot from the top of the shooting circle, but it bounced off the post again.
Netherlands pegged India back as the quarter progressed, but a quick counter saw India earn a penalty corner. However, Udita’s slap sailed just wide of the post. The last period of play saw the Netherlands keep hold of the ball to kill off the game and the contest ended 3-1 in their favour. India will take on Australia next at 1930 hrs on 7th February.
- Men's FIH Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- FIH Women's Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- USA vs India Highlights, Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24
- Where and how to watch Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24 live worldwide?