Indian Sports Calendar in 2023: Events to watch in third week of September
World Wrestling Championships will offer 90 Olympic quotas this week.
A lot of sporting events are lined up in the upcoming week of the Indian sports calendar. The ongoing World Wrestling Championships 2023 is set to offer 90 Olympic quota places this week. Apart from that the Indian Cricket team will be hosting Australia in the 50 overs format ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup.
Here we take a look at the events to follow in the upcoming week (September 18-24) in the Indian sports calendar.
The quadrennial event is officially scheduled to be held from September 23 to October 08. However, few sports like Volleyball and Football will start few days prior to the start of the extravaganza. A record 655 Indian athletes will competing at the Continental Games with several sporting events offering Paris Olympic quotas.
- September 23-08 October: Asian Games
The Indian basketball team progressed to the FIBA U-16 Asian Championship after claiming the top spot by defeating Sri Lanka in the SABA U-16 qualifiers. The young Cagers are grouped alongside Australia, Lebanon, and Sri Lanka. The tournament also serves as a qualifier for the FIBA U-17 Basketball World Cup 2024.
- September 17-24: FIBA U-16 Asian Championship 2023 (Ongoing)
After lifting the Asia Cup, India is scheduled to host Australia in the white ball series. Australia on the other hand, have finished their assignment against South Africa recently. This tournament will be the final for both teams ahead of the ICC World Cup 2023.
- September 22-03 December: India tour of Australia
Indian women’s U-17 team after winning the opening round qualifiers are set to take on South Korea, Thailand and Iran in the final qualifying round. The top two teams in each group progress to the final round.
- September 16-24: AFC U-17 Women’s Championship 2024 Qualifiers (Ongoing)
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Asian Games 2023: Updated India schedule for September 23
- Asian Games 2023, September 22 Updated Results: Indian volleyball team march into quarters; table tennis teams make winning start
- Indian table tennis teams make winning start to Asian Games 2023
- Asian Games 2023: Sports Minister Anurag Thakur cancels China trip after Arunachal Pradesh players denied visa
- Asian Games 2023: India men’s volleyball team defeat Chinese Taipei, through to quarterfinals
- Indian men’s basketball team go down fighting against Qatar in FIBA U-16 Asian Championship 2023 pre-quarters
- Asian Games 2023: India schedule, results, live streaming and telecast details
Tokyo Olympian Elavenil Valarivan clinched India’s first medal at the ISSF Air Rifle/Pistol World Cup, Rio. She has been fine form in the past few months having won two medals at the World University Games in Chengdu, China.
- September 12-19: ISSF Pistol/Rifle World Cup (Ongoing)
Four Indian tennis players will be seen in action next week in the ATP Challenger series. Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan will pair alongside experienced Purav Raja at the ATP Saint-Tropez Challenger. Meanwhile, former top-100 Divij Sharan is paired up with former national champion Niki Poonancha at the Sibiu Challenger.
- September 18-24: ATP Saint-Tropez Challenger
Men’s Doubles – Jeevan Nedunchezhiyan/Purav Raja
- September 18-24: ATP Sibiu Challenger
Men’s Doubles: Niki Kaliyanda Poonacha/Divij Sharan
The World Wrestling Championships is set to offer Olympic quota places for players finishing on the podium. Antim Panghal and Aman Sherawat will be India’s best bet at the prestigious meet after several top profile names – Vinesh Phogat, Bajrang Punia and Ravi Dahiya – pulled out.
In the opening day of the competition, none of the Indian wrestlers progressed through to the semi-finals.
- September 16-24: World Wrestling Championships (Ongoing)
posted in :