Indian Sports Calendar in 2023: Events to watch in first week of December
Ahmedabad Defenders are set to become first Indian club to play in Volleyball Club World Championships.
A lot of sporting events are lined up in the upcoming week of the Indian sports calendar. Olympian Bhavani Devi will be back in action and is scheduled to take part in the Sabre Grand Prix in Nuoma, France. The Indian men’s team after finishing third in Azlan Sultan Shah Cup last month will be high on confidence at the upcoming FIH Hockey Men’s Junior World Cup in Malaysia.
Here we take a look at the events to follow in the upcoming week (December 04-10) in the Indian sports calendar:
Events to follow in first week of December in Indian Sports Calendar
The Indian women’s cricket team will be up against England in a T20 and Test series. After clinching the top spot in Asian Games, the Harmanpreet Kaur-led side will look to continue their good run against the mighty English side.
- December 6-17: England Tour of India (women’s)
Tokyo Olympian Bhavani Devi and Karan Singh are set to spearhead the Indian contingent at the Sabre Grand Prix competition in Nouma, France. The former is currently placed 25th in the Paris Olympics 2024 qualification race.
- December 7-8: Sabre Grand Prix
- December 8-9: Foil World Cup
ISL 10 will be entering its ninth week and Kerala Blasters currently occupy the top spot. They are closely followed by FC Goa and Mohun Bagan Super Giants with 16 and 15 points respectively.
- September 21-March 2024 – Indian Super League 10 (ongoing)
Indian women’s team started the Junior World Cup on a high note by winning against Canada (12-0). However, they lost the next two matches by a goal margin to Germany (3-4) and Belgium (2-3) and bowed out of the competition. The men’s team will be in action this week in Malaysia.
- November 29-10 December: FIH Hockey Women’s Junior World Cup 2023 (ongoing)
- December 5-16: FIH Hockey Men’s Junior World Cup 2023
The world’s top 18 teams will square off in Chengdu, China for the ITTF Mixed Team World Cup 2023. Teams will be divided into four groups and matches will be played in a round-robin format. India is seeded 13th and will be led by experienced Sanil Shetty.
- December 4-10: ITTF Mixed Team World Cup
Ahmedabad Defenders are set to make a mark in Indian volleyball as they will be the first team to play in the prestigious Men’s Volleyball Club World Championships. The team will be led by setter Muthusamy Appavu who played a key role for the Indian Volleyball Team at the Asian Games 2023.
- December 6-10: Men’s Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- India vs USA Live Updates: Women’s FIH Hockey Olympic Qualifiers 2024
- Malaysia Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag creates history, becomes first Indian to reach final
- Rohan Bopanna kickstarts the 2024 season with runner-up finish at Adelaide International
- Asian Olympics Qualifiers 2024: Vijayveer Sidhu secures India’s 17th shooting quota
- Australian Open 2024: Sumit Nagal becomes first Indian to enter singles main draw of a Grand Slam since 2021
- Aman Sehrawat clinches gold in 57kg freestyle at Zagreb Open Ranking Series 2024
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
The IWF Grand Prix 2 will act as an Olympic qualifying event for Paris 2024. Mirabai Chanu who finished fourth at the Asian Games 2023 will be participating in the competition, but it is yet to be known if she will lift or has just entered the name.
- December 4-14: IWF Grand Prix 2