A total of 22 sportspersons will be part of the Indian contingent.
The 2022 World Athletics Championships start from 15 July 2022 onwards in the city of Eugene, Oregon. For the first time ever, the world athletic meet takes place in the United States of America. The competition will be intense for the duration of the multi-discipline event where Indians will hope to shine as well. Until now, the country has only one solitary bronze to show for in the history of the prestigious meet.
There will be a lot of expectations from the likes of Neeraj Chopra, Avinash Sable and Murali Sreeshankar among others. Indian athletes will hope to deliver good performances and bring as many medals back home as possible. The Indian contingent comes from different backgrounds, belonging to the many states in the country.
Haryana is a leading producer of world-class athletes but others are also not lagging too far behind. For instance, Kerala will send the most athletes (eight) to the World Athletics Championships. Behind it is the state of Tamil Nadu with five, Uttar Pradesh with four, Haryana with two, Maharashtra, New Delhi, and Punjab with one each.
Here is a look at the athletes that will take part in the 2022 World Athletics Championships and the Indian states they hail from:
- Neeraj Chopra (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Sandeep Kumar (Men’s 20km Race Walk)
- Murali Sreeshankar (Men’s Long Jump)
- Muhammad Anees Yahiya (Men’s Long Jump)
- Muhammed Anas Yahiya (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Abdulla Aboobacker (Men’s Triple Jump)
- Eldhose Paul (Men’s Triple Jump)
- MP Jabir (Men’s 400m Hurdles)
- Noah Nirmal Tom (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Muhammed Ajmal (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Avinash Sable (Men’s 3000m Steeplechase)
- Amoj Jacob (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor (Men’s Shot Put)
- Jeswin Aldrin (Men’s Long Jump)
- Praveen Chithravel (Men’s Triple Jump)
- Naganathan Pandi (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Rajesh Ramesh (Men’s 4x400m Relay)
- Dhanalakshmi Sekar (Women’s 200m)
- Rohit Yadav (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Annu Rani (Men’s Javelin Throw)
- Priyanka Goswami (Women’s 20km Race Walk)
- Parul Chaudhary (Women’s 3000m Steeplechase)
When and Where will it take place?
The World Athletics Championship will take place from July 15-24. It will be held in Eugene, Oregon, United States of America. The events will take place at PST (Pacific Standard Time) which is 12-and-a-half hours behind IST (Indian Standard Time).
That means the events should start in the evening time in India and continue until early morning.
For more updates, follow Khel Now on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and join our community on Telegram.
Leave a Reply