Germany inflict third straight defeat on Indian women’s hockey Team
(Courtesy : hockeyindia)
Zimmermann and Hauke registered their name on the scoresheet for the hosts.
The Indian women’s hockey team once again couldn’t stop relentless Germany from scoring goals as the hosts won their third consecutive game in the four-match series in Dusseldorf on Tuesday. The World No. 3 side won the game by a 2-0 margin through goals from Sonja Zimmermann (26’) and Franzisca Hauke (42’).
Encouraged by their robust defensive display in the second game of the series, the Indian side frustrated the German attackers in the first quarter. The hosts were unable to create any early momentum and had a penalty corner saved inside the first 15 minutes. While the hosts pushed forward to break the deadlock, the Indian backline stood firm.
Germany were awarded a penalty corner early into the second quarter but still couldn’t find a way past the Indian women’s hockey team’s defence. The team managed to keep out three penalty corners in the previous game too.
The hosts ended India’s resistance in form of a goal from the third penalty corner. This time, defender Zimmermann made no mistake as the Word No. 3 side started the third quarter with a lead. Germany doubled their advantage shortly before the end of the third quarter with seasoned midfielder Hauke getting on the scoresheet. The German team held on to the lead to complete their third successive win.
The Indian women's hockey team will play their fourth match of the tour on Thursday at 1630 hrs IST.
- Men's FIH Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- List of Indian athletes who have already secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
- FIH Women's Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- USA vs India Highlights, Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24
- Where and how to watch Women's FIH Pro League 2023-24 live worldwide?