ATP Paris Masters 2023: Rohan Bopanna-Matthew Ebden reach doubles final
The Indo-Australian pair defeated Heliovaara and Pavic to advance.
Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden have advanced to the Rolex Paris Masters 2023 final, securing their maiden qualification for the Nitto ATP Finals. They overcame the Finnish-Croatian pair of Harri Heliovaa and Mate Pavic with a score of 6-7(3), 6-4, 10-6.
Despite narrowly losing the first-set tiebreak, they seized a crucial break in the seventh game, taking the second set in just 34 minutes. Bopanna and Ebden then efficiently closed out the match, winning the final set in a mere ten minutes, concluding the contest in under ninety minutes.
The duo excelled by winning 46 out of 52 (88%) of their first-serve points and fending off three break points on their path to victory in the semifinals at the ninth and final ATP Masters event of the season. In the quarterfinals, they defeated the fifth-seeded pair of Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Notably, the Spanish-Argentine pair had previously triumphed over Bopanna and Ebden in the 2023 Shanghai Masters.
Harri Heliovaara and Mate Pavic demonstrated their prowess by eliminating the top-ranked doubles team of Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek with a score of 6-4, 6-4 on Friday.
Bopanna and Ebden, with doubles titles at Doha and the ATP Masters in Indian Wells, are now just one match away from claiming their third title and their second ATP Masters event of the season. Their impressive journey has also seen them reach the finals of the US Open, as well as the Masters events in Shanghai and Madrid.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Syed Modi International 2023: Ashwini-Tanisha enters final, Priyanshu knocked out in semis
- Vaishali Rameshbabu becomes India’s third female chess grandmaster
- National Shooting Championships 2023: Anantjeet Singh Naruka, Sift Kaur Samra win gold
- Satwik-Chirag climb to world No. 2 in Latest BWF Rankings
- Indian U-19 women’s table tennis team clinch bronze at ITTF World Youth Championships 2023
- Sheetal Devi becomes World No. 1 para archer in latest World Archery rankings
- Aditi Ashok wins second LET title this season at Open de Espana
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
In the event that Bopanna and Ebden secure the Rolex Paris Masters trophy, they will surpass Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek by 60 points, earning the distinction of being the World No. 1 team in the ATP Live Doubles Rankings. They are now eagerly awaiting the outcome of the Rajeev Ram/Joe Salisbury and Santiago Gonzalez/Edouard Roger-Vasselin semifinal match.
Rohan Bopanna and Matthew Ebden are presently ranked third in the race to the Nitto ATP Finals, confirming their spot in the year-ending Nitto ATP Finals in their debut year as a doubles team.