'Facing India will be a challenge', says Netherlands captain Thierry Brinkman ahead of FIH Pro League
(Courtesy : Hockey India)
The World No.1 side will begin their campaign against Ireland on February 10 in Bhubaneswar.
The FIH Pro League 2023/24 (Men) is scheduled to take place at the Kalinga Hockey Stadium in Bhubaneswar from 10th to 16th February, before moving to the Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium in Rourkela, where the league will continue from 19th to 25th February. Five national teams – Ireland, The Netherlands, India, Spain and Australia – will participate in the India leg of the FIH Pro League 2023/24 (Men), facing each other once in Bhubaneswar and once in Rourkela.
The Netherlands will play their first match of the FIH Hockey Pro League 2023/24 (Men) on 10th February against Ireland, followed by the highly-anticipated contest against the hosts India on 11th February. They will then take on Spain on 13th February and Australia on 16th February, before heading to Rourkela.
“The preparations have been going really well. We have done a great job in training sessions. The guys have done a good job. We love to be in India and there is a good team spirit among all of us. We are excited for the campaign to begin,” the Netherlands’ Captain Thierry Brinkman said after landing in Bhubaneswar.
Indian Sports Live Coverage on Khel Now
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa becomes junior world no. 1 in chess
- Sports Ministry suspends Paralympic Committee of India for violating Sports Code
- India takes 2-0 lead over Pakistan in Davis Cup 2024 World Group I play-off
- Thailand Masters 2024: Ashmita Chaliha’s dream run ends with defeat against Supanida Katethong in women’s singles semis
- All England Open 2024: Satwik-Chirag to lead India’s challenge as top seeds
- Indian Sports Calendar 2024: Major events to look forward to in February
- List of Indian athletes to have secured qualification for Paris Olympics 2024
On being asked about the toughest opponents on the tour, he added: “We are curious about Australia, they could be tough opponents for us. Of course, facing India in front of their home crowd will be a challenge, especially in stadiums as vast as the ones in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela. So, we are looking forward to those tough battles.”
“With the Paris Olympics 2024 coming up, this is an important tour for us to test ourselves against strong teams. We hope to have a good tournament,” Brinkman signed off.
- Men's FIH Pro League 2023-24: India's updated schedule, fixtures, results, squad, live streaming details
- Top five achievements of Janneke Schopman as coach of Indian women's hockey team
- Janneke Schopman’s shocking revelations: Five key points from the Indian women’s hockey coach’s last interview
- India vs Australia Highlights, Men's FIH Pro League 2023-24 Rourkela leg
- Janneke Schopman resigns as Indian women's hockey team coach